Meet the Crew....

| |
My perception of time this semester has been so incredibly off. I hardly remember what happened when. I guess that is what happens when you are incredibly busy with school. All you can do is worry about what is due the next day and as soon as you finish one assignment and turn it in, you immediately forget about it and start working on the next to-do item. It might seem like an un-enjoyable situation, but I actually really like being kept super busy. Rushing from one place to the next. Of course, a lazy weekend is always appreciated from time to time. But I dislike having too much downtime. I love feeling productive and when I have nothing to do, I can't be productive!

Anyways, we finished editing for Sugar Rush! That is the big news of this week. So that is very exciting. I don't have too much to do for the movie during the post process. I just pop in from time and time down in the basement to see how my boys are doing with editing. I am kind of sad that it is all coming to a close. I really do love our crew. Even though the director, Mike, often drove me crazy from time to time with his optimism (I had to be the realist)...I still think he is a fabulous guy and I enjoyed working with him. He is such a kooky guy haha, he always looks completely high in pictures and has this dorky laugh that is contagious, it totally cracks me up. We had a lot of characters on our crew though.



In addition to Mike, there was Harkins (he has a first name but no one uses it), one of the DPs, who rarely opens his mouth, except to utter catchphrases such as "rough dude, rough." Everyone has fun mimicking his silly sayings. He is the one person who I didn't really get to know too well, but I have a feeling not many people get a chance to know him very well! Marcus, was our other DP, and he is much more communicative. He had a mohawk for the duration of the shoot and is an unusual guy, but can be unexpectedly sweet. We fight from time to time, but we always make up.




Corbin & Zach are our producers. Corbin is a nut, but a lovable one. He is so proud of his 310 film, its comical. Everyone in film production knows about how he flipped a car for his film. He always goes all out and puts the most he can into things, which is nice. He is a really hard worker and I love people who commit themselves completely to things. Whereas Corbin dealt with the people side of producing, Zach dealt with the budget and money issues. He surprised me a lot during the filming of Sugar Rush. I had never seen him act so serious or mature before. I knew him from 310 and he seemed like a goofy guy, but he definitely knows how to turn on his serious side and get down to business.



I love our production designers as well--Matt & Cali. Their interactions are hilarious. They have come to behave just like brother and sister. Its quite cute. Matt is amazing. He is a freshmen, but no one on the faculty knows it! He never says no to anything Mike requests, he finds a way to do ANYTHING. He is like this bad-ass carpenter boy. He always wears a wife beater and combat type boots. And during the filming of the action sequences, could be guaranteed to be covered in a good amount of fake blood. I would chase him around with towels and napkins. Even though he is amazingly talented, he also was constantly leaving his bloody shirts on the ground and creating messes. But we can't all be perfect! Cali was the only other girl on the crew. She is from England but ditches her accent when she is in the states. She has a real knack for production design and that is her desired career path, so she is right where she wants to be! It worked out really nicely because Matt was great at building stuff and Cali was great at decorating and props so together they were like this unstoppable force!




For sound we had Matt and John. Matt is a nice guy, he assistant directed before so he was always giving me tips on how to better run the set and schedule days more efficiently. He was a big help to me. John is fabulous as well. He is this super tall guy, basically destined to hold a boom mic. He is kind of a goofy ball but has great taste in music and very down to earth. He even let us film at his family home in Palos Verdes. The sound guys were my favorite because they were always ready to go. An AD's dream :)



Then lastly we have the editors--Alan and Brian. Alan is a very sweet guy. He records his own music for fun and his voice on CD will shock you! He was always trying to get Mike to cut down on shots, which I appreciated. He is also in my Writing 340 class and is a frequent guest at Friday's G Phi Brunch. He is like the funniest drunk ever. Brian is a character. He is another one who is constantly mimicked for his odd speech pattern and optimistic, go-getter vocabulary. He is also like the most flirtatious boy I have ever met. But a ton of fun. He sometimes comes off as a douche bag but can be very good to his friends. He critiqued and color corrected my entire 475 directing project. It was a big help! Unfortunately, he does seem to be one of those guys who completely forgets about everyone else in his life when he gets a girlfriend....he hasn't been as fun since. But its probably good for him. He normally has a 2 date rule and now it seems that he is finally falling into an actual relationship. Even though casual dating can be fun, I think its important to experience real relationships. So I think this is a good experience for him.




Oh my, I have written a lot and haven't even realized it! The funny thing is that I feel like I barely glazed over the people! I could write much, much more. But I suppose I should call it a day here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment